Electrical Installations

Electrical Tips

Never touch any electrical appliances such as a hairdryer or shaver if your hands are wet. According to Eskom, many people who die or suffer serious injury from electric shock every year in South Africa do so as a result of illegal activities such as cable theft, unlawful connections and vandalism.

Upgrade to the SANS 164-2 plug
and outlet system

With so many electrical hazards at home and in the workplace, South Africa made it compulsory to install the new SANS 164-2 plug and outlet system in 2018. Replacing the notoriously dangerous three-pronged, round pin plug, the new electrocution-proof plug not only protects crawling babies from electrocution, but it can accept up to six-plugs in one box. It’s also a lot cheaper than the traditional 3-prong plug.

Pro Tip: Water and electricity are a lethal combination. That said, never use water to kill an electrical fire but keep a bucket of clean sand ready outside your kitchen door, or if possible, a small fire extinguisher.
 

Unplug to reduce risk

Switching off the main power during electrical work is one of the most important electric shock safety tips, but it’s a practice most forget. When an appliance is not in use, unplug it. Not only does this save money by reducing the amount of energy the device consumes even when not actively in use), but unplugging unused appliances also protects them from overheating or power surges.Switching off the main power during electrical work is one of the most important electric shock safety tips, but it’s a practice most forget. When an appliance is not in use, unplug it. Not only does this save money by reducing the amount of energy the device consumes even when not actively in use), but unplugging unused appliances also protects them from overheating or power surges.

Replace damaged electrical power cords
—or avoid them all-together

 The safe use of extension leads can be the difference between life and death. Exposed wiring, damaged power cords, or an electrical extension cord left out in the open for kids and pets to nibble are the #1 cause of electrocution and fire. To keep kids and pets safe and to ensure electrical cord safety in the workplace and at home, maintain a monthly electrical safety inspection and replace damaged cords, and keep cords away from children and pets. But do not hide them under rugs or furniture as this can lead to overheating, leading to a fire.

Child-proof your home with tamper-resistant items

 Kids are naturally curious about the world, so it’s important to guard them and teach them about electricity safety from a young age. To ensure electrical safety for kids, child-proof your home with safety caps and covers placed over all outlets throughout the property and hide electrical cords from curious hands.